So here’s the plan! I want to create a new Ironfell universe, new realms, new accounts and a clean slate. The current universe will still exist, and stay as it is.
Below is a rough break down of what will be new in the the new universe (that I need to figure out a snappy name for)… none of this is final. Feel free to argue any points in the Suggestions section of the Forums. :)
Smaller, 50 to 100 custom realms (no risky or trailblazer realms). This will make terrain valuable, something worth fighting for. Everywhere in the game will be active, instead of the tens of thousands of empty wasted realms we currently have.
- All PVP. Even castles and keeps. Everywhere will be PVP.
- No starting realms. New accounts get an explorer randomly placed somewhere. This means making alts wont take up server resources. The resources you start with will be enough to start you off, but not enough to make creating accounts to get the starting resources worth while. Creating ALTs to steal theit starting resources will still get you perma banned.
- Food, Farmlets, Paddocks and Herring will work as they currently do. Except every being PVP will mean that your Farmlets and Paddocks are vulnerable to attack. This hopefully makes Herring useful.
- Same goes for Wood, Trees and Woodcutters. Everywhere is PVP, they are always vulnerable. I will probably increase the amount of Wood in normal Trees to compensate.
- Iron mines will give out Iron faster than they currently do. And Iron mines will never run out of Iron. There will be a fixed number of Iron mines so you will have to capture and defend Iron mines.
- Knowledge buildings (Colleges, Universities and Churches)… will not expire. Destroy them and they turn into ruins, but left alone they won’t expire. They will be vulnerable to attack, as everywhere is PVP :)
- Oil seeps will appear in random places, you pump the seep dry, and then a new seep will appear somewhere else in the game. Ideally with a fixed amount of oil always available to collect.
- Electricity, will work as it does now.
- Wooden Towers will either get a +1 range increase, or I’ll add a rifleman version of the Wooden Tower. This means defending becomes cheaper than attacking (like it used to be).
- Flagships will be restricted in their movement, they’ll probably only exist in lakes in a few of the realms.
- Keeps and Castles will be the only realms that users can create. They will always be PVP and the only resource they contain is Trees. So hopefully there will not be thousands of them created.
- The website will direct new users to the new universe. You’ll have to go to a different page on the site to access the old universe. The Desktop and Android versions will only connect to the new universe. This is to make my life easier :)
- The abusive behavior rules will be greatly relaxed. Say whatever you want to. I have been terrible at enforcing this in the past, and either people have to stop being duckwits or I have to let you be duckwits. Also means I’ll change the games rating on the Android store from E for Everyone to be Medium maturity.
All of this will hopefully add up to a smaller, tighter game where strategy is more important than rushing masses of units.
So that’s the plan, now I just need to find the time to do it :)