So here’s the plan! I want to create a new Ironfell universe, new realms, new accounts and a clean slate. The current universe will still exist, and stay as it is.
Below is a rough break down of what will be new in the the new universe (that I need to figure out a snappy name for)… none of this is final. Feel free to argue any points in the Suggestions section of the Forums. :)
Smaller, 50 to 100 custom realms (no risky or trailblazer realms). This will make terrain valuable, something worth fighting for. Everywhere in the game will be active, instead of the tens of thousands of empty wasted realms we currently have.
- All PVP. Even castles and keeps. Everywhere will be PVP.
- No starting realms. New accounts get an explorer randomly placed somewhere. This means making alts wont take up server resources. The resources you start with will be enough to start you off, but not enough to make creating accounts to get the starting resources worth while. Creating ALTs to steal theit starting resources will still get you perma banned.
- Food, Farmlets, Paddocks and Herring will work as they currently do. Except every being PVP will mean that your Farmlets and Paddocks are vulnerable to attack. This hopefully makes Herring useful.
- Same goes for Wood, Trees and Woodcutters. Everywhere is PVP, they are always vulnerable. I will probably increase the amount of Wood in normal Trees to compensate.
- Iron mines will give out Iron faster than they currently do. And Iron mines will never run out of Iron. There will be a fixed number of Iron mines so you will have to capture and defend Iron mines.
- Knowledge buildings (Colleges, Universities and Churches)… will not expire. Destroy them and they turn into ruins, but left alone they won’t expire. They will be vulnerable to attack, as everywhere is PVP :)
- Oil seeps will appear in random places, you pump the seep dry, and then a new seep will appear somewhere else in the game. Ideally with a fixed amount of oil always available to collect.
- Electricity, will work as it does now.
- Wooden Towers will either get a +1 range increase, or I’ll add a rifleman version of the Wooden Tower. This means defending becomes cheaper than attacking (like it used to be).
- Flagships will be restricted in their movement, they’ll probably only exist in lakes in a few of the realms.
- Keeps and Castles will be the only realms that users can create. They will always be PVP and the only resource they contain is Trees. So hopefully there will not be thousands of them created.
- The website will direct new users to the new universe. You’ll have to go to a different page on the site to access the old universe. The Desktop and Android versions will only connect to the new universe. This is to make my life easier :)
- The abusive behavior rules will be greatly relaxed. Say whatever you want to. I have been terrible at enforcing this in the past, and either people have to stop being duckwits or I have to let you be duckwits. Also means I’ll change the games rating on the Android store from E for Everyone to be Medium maturity.
All of this will hopefully add up to a smaller, tighter game where strategy is more important than rushing masses of units.
So that’s the plan, now I just need to find the time to do it :)
I am really sorry about this, but new accounts have been disabled.
It’s partly because people have made so many alt accounts, but that is not the main reason. I can’t justify spending money on more servers.
Ironfell is not profitable and I can not afford to continue adding new servers – they’re expensive!
Details of how much Ironfell has lost are here:
Buying extra resources is also turned off. If I do have to shut Ironfell down I don’t want people to feel like they’ve been cheated out of their money.
You can still play, but chances are Ironfell will be turned off sometime in the future, unless I can figure out a way to make the servers cost less and the game more profitable.
david,add a comment
I’m not going to go into specifics about why each person was banned.
Please keep your language and conversations clean while playing Ironfell.
For example; If you talk about raping another player, you will get banned.
I can also permanently delete accounts now.
And if I have to spend too much time dealing with people misbehaving, I won’t be able to work on improving Ironfell, and might as well shut it down. And yes, that is an option. So please, please, just behave.add a comment
The werewolf update is live! (at least it will be a few minutes after I post this).
Most of these changes are to make the servers run more efficient. Fewer woodcutters, fewer everlasting auto-generating resource buildings. And a few bug fixes.
These changes will take about 28 days to come into effect, as old unused woodcutters turn into Werewolves. All the existing Woodcutter creation times have been randomized, so they will turn sometime within the next 28 days. You may have Werewolves already!
The next change after this is the great realm purge. All the empty, unused realms and user accounts will be removed. Which will make a HUGE difference to the currently overloaded servers. Less lag and less disconnections.
Full list of changes are:
- Woodcutters become Werewolves after 28 days.
- Farms become Farm Ruins after 28 days.
- Paddocks become Paddock Ruins after 28 days.
- Colleges become College Ruins after 56 days.
- Universities become University Ruins after 56 days.
- Woodcutters, Farmlets and Paddocks creation date has been randomized so they are all less than 28 days old.
- Colleges and Universities have been randomized so they are all less than 56 days old.
- Miners now build Safe Tunnels and Risky Tunnels.
- Safe Tunnels Cost: 200 Food, 100 Wood, 200 Iron.
- Risky Tunnels Cost: 300 Food, 300 Wood, 100 Iron. !!CHEAP!!
- Conquest and Trailblazer Tunnels can not be built (old one still exist).
- Safe Tunnels built in your home valley take you to the matching safe lobby realm.
- Safe Tunnels built elsewhere take you to a Safe Valleys.
- Risky Tunnels built anywhere take you to a PVP Valley (with Iron or Oil).
- New risky realms always have at least one iron mine.
- Risky and trailblazer realms are automatically created over time.
- I now have a tool that permanently deletes a user, their realms and ALL their units.
- Fixed: Bug that made that time gate appear in the ocean.
- Fixed: Bug that created echo’s of the realm at x location 768
- Ironclads get their own shipwreck.
- Added an option to sign out of general chat
Today’s changes are:
- Auto-attack is now limited to the units range only. So T-Rex auto attack only goes 1 hexagon.
- Velociraptors have now got auto-attack abililty.
- Stone Circles, Tunnels and Stone Gates built in Public or PVP realms must be spaced 1 hexagaon apart. They can be close together in castles, keeps and home valleys now.
- User names can no longer contain < or >
- Android app has been updated, hopefully this will fix some bugs and help performance. Update it from the Google Play Store.
- Coloured Pteradactyls should now be given to people when they spend money. Even if their volcano’s are occupied.
- Added user coloured hats to Riflemen.
- And added more nines. The resource limit is now 999,999,999,999.
The top 3 problems with Ironfell are:
Ironfell is not profitable (www.ironfell.com/profit). The way things are the server cost per user is greater than the income per user. If we had 100 times as many people playing, I’ld have to buy more servers and would just be losing more money.
Too many server restarts and disconnects.
Iron and Oil are too hard to get at the moment.
And here are a list of solutions:
Remove Risky Tunnels and instead create Risky Realms automatically at a rate that can be adjusted. They’ll always contain Iron mines, and you will be able to use Conquest Tunnels to reach them. This makes Iron easier/cheaper to get to (Conquest Tunnel costs won’t change). And it means the number of Risky Realms created is limited.
Trailblazer Realms will make a come back, and work the same way as the new Risky Realms. They will be safe with tree’s just like they used too. Trailblazer Tunnels connect to these realms.
Realm Purge. Risky and Trailblazer valley realms that have nothing in them will be removed. There are over 60,000 of these realms, and they are slowing down the servers too much. I’ld like to remove 50,000 of them. I’m not sure which ones will be removed yet, but it’ll be based on the number and type of units that are inside those realms. And yes, this will affect your wood production.
Users who have never played will have their accounts deleted, and their home valleys removed.
All types of gateway (tunnels, keeps, castles, etc) will have the spacing rule applied to them, the same as the current stone circles.
There are over 120,000 Woodcutters on auto-gather, this slows the servers down and is the main cause of the restarts and disconnects. So after a few weeks (exact number to be decided) … Woodcutters will turn into Werewolves. This means they will not auto-gather forever. Werewolves will be a fighting unit.
Auto-attack is the other thing slowing down the servers. So Dinosaurs auto-attack will be changed so that is is only triggered if their target is within their attack range, 1 hexagon away instead of 8 hexagons. This also means Velociraptors will get auto-attack enabled again.
More nines. Resource cap will be increased from 999,999,99 to be 999,999,999,999.
And lastly… Farms, Paddocks, Colleges and Universities will expire after a long amount of time. Probably a few months.
There are still lots of details to figure out, and I need to think through all the consequences of these pretty significant changes. But anyway, there is the rough plan.
I’m sorry, but I still haven’t done anything new on Ironfell.
The first server just came to the end of its one year contract. And I’ve renewed it for another year. So that proves that Ironfell isn’t going away. And I will get back to improving it!
Also, here’s another puppy photo:
No progress on Ironfell… I’ve been busy doing some real work to earn some money.
But here’s another picture of Sootie Shadow!
I’ve been taking a bit of a break from Ironfell. After the dinosaur expansion I was a bit exhausted and just need a creative holiday.
To make up for it… here’s a picture of my new puppy! His name is Sootie Shadow…8 comments
Just uploaded a few fixes and tweaks:
- Ory Burrows fail really quickly sometimes. This is because they get destroyed by something on the other end.
- I’ve increased their health to 20,000 to make them last longer.
- Archers can turn into Riflemen on bridges now.
- If there is a Megalodon Eggs on a Whirlpools, now the Whirlpool is selected before the egg. So you cant use them to block Whirlpools.
- Increased the frequency that eggs spawn in prehistoric realms.
- Increased the number of small iron deposits found in risky realms.
- Added better descriptions to the FAQ for each resource.
- Removed auto-attack from Raptors, too many units with auto-attack turned on causes lag.
- Decreased Windmill electricity generation so they now take 22 days to empty instead of 11.
- Increased up Large Iron mine production, now 120 Iron per hour, 2x the speed of a small mine.
- Changed the unit shown on the preload pony to be one of 5 random units.